Special events

Learn about licence information for public events and street pitches or trading on highways.

Applying for an event permit

Please note: the council has decided to cease this type of licensing application until 31 December 2020. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Event permits are required if you would like to put up a table and/or display on the pavement or in a pedestrian area.

High streetYou'll need a permit if you're intending to put on a display or event which restricts the use of the pavement to pedestrians. To support your application, you'll need a valid insurance certificate and a copy of the map indicating the spot where you'd like your table and/or display to be.

The permit will last for the duration of the intended activity.

For example, if an organisation wants to erect a table/stand outside of Marks and Spencers on the high street to give out leaflets and information for a period of time, they'll need to complete an events permit.

Note: this is not the same as a Street Trading Pitch licence as no items are being sold or services being offered.

How to apply

You can apply online and we'll acknowledge your application via email. We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days.

Applications for permission to use the highway for an event or display will be processed within 14 working days. 

Fees and charges

Provided you're not trading, there's no charge for a permit.

Application evaluation process

  • You must send your application form and supporting documents 14 working days prior to the intended activity.
  • Your permit must be available on the day and produced when asked.
  • If you lose your permit, you can obtain a copy permit by calling the contact centre on 01895 556000.
  • Your permit cannot be used to cover multiple events, a new one will be required for each event.

What happens next

If your application is not processed by Hillingdon Council within the timescales stated, tacit consent applies. This means you'll be able to act as though your application is granted if you've not heard from us by the end of the target completion period. If we've not contacted you, please get in touch with the licensing team by calling 01895 558311 (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) or emailing licensing@hillingdon.gov.uk

Failed application/licence holder redress

Please contact the regulatory service team via the licensing team by calling 01895 558311 (open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) or emailing licensing@hillingdon.gov.uk.


We'd always advise that in the event of a complaint, you make the first contact with the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you're located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you need to complain about, for example, noise or pollution, or should one licence holder have cause to complain about another, please contact the council's contact centre.

Read more about the licence laws and the Highways Act 1980.

Page last updated: 01 Jul 2020