Special events

Learn about licence information for public events and street pitches or trading on highways.

Using the highway for an event or display

Roads and pavements should be kept clear and safe, as much as possible. Articles on the public highway, such as an information stand, table or canopy will require a highway event permit under the Highways Act 1980.

We require evidence of public liability insurance, a plan of the area and a risk assessment. Once the permit is issued, applicants must adhere to a number of conditions.

An application for permission to use the highway for an event or display costs £39.

parking waiver may be required if a vehicle is used as part of an event or display.

Charity and local community activities

Where an activity is for the local community or for charity purposes, we will consider requests for a waiver of this fee.

Requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis and assessed in the following circumstances:

  • fundraising activities
  • promotion of charity or other local cause
  • promotion of community services

If you would like to request a waiver of this licensing fee, please email licensing@hillingdon.gov.uk.

Making an application for a highways licence

Your application and all supporting documentation must be received a minimum of 14 days prior to the date of the intended activity. Applications that do not comply will be returned to the applicant without consideration.

Should the event require a road closure, a minimum of 12 weeks' notice will be necessary.

Apply for permission to use the highway for an event or display

Page last updated: 02 May 2024