About our food waste recycling service
Watch our short video on how to turn your food waste into electricity and fertiliser...
If you haven't already, sign up for our free food waste service and you'll receive everything you need to get started.
Sign up for food waste recycling
Residents who sign up to our service, will receive:
- a kitchen caddy to collect the food waste
- a roll of caddy liners to insert into your caddy (store your caddy liners in a dry place)
- an external food storage bin to keep the full bags until your food waste is collected
Replacement caddies can also be ordered through our online form.
Order food waste caddies and/or liners
Please note: If it has been more than 10 days since you signed up for food waste recycling and you have not received your set yet, you can query undelivered recycling bags
Automatic bag deliveries
Sign up for automatic deliveries of food waste liners and we'll deliver to your door up to 4 times a year.
Sign up for automatic caddy liner deliveries
Please note: You can stop automatic bag deliveries at any time.
Food waste bin, caddy and liners
Caddy liners should be stored in a cool, dark and dry place to prevent them from beginning to break down prematurely.
Try to remove any excess moisture from your food waste before putting it into the bag, as liquids will speed up the composting process and mean that your bags need to be changed more regularly.
Order more caddy liners
Please note: If it has been more than 10 days since you ordered caddy liners and you have not received them yet, you can query undelivered recycling bags
All items accepted through this service
- Dairy produce, including eggs, eggshells and cheese, small amounts of butter or lard
- Pet food
- Paper kitchen towels
- Bread, cakes and pastries
- Fruit, vegetable and peelings
- Cereals, rice, pasta and pulses
- Tea bags, tea leaves and coffee grounds
- Food scrapings from your plates and dishes
- Raw and cooked fish and meat, including skin and bones
If you want to recycle cooking oil, there is a bin at Harefield Civic Amenity Site.
Instructions for collection
On your collection day, place your food bin next to your garden waste at your property boundary before 6am.
Look up my collection day
Missed food waste collection
If your food waste hasn't been collected on your collection day and you have followed instructions for collection, please let us know.
We will make another collection within 2 working days.
Report a missed food waste collection
Free compost bin for residents
Home composting is an environmentally-friendly way to deal with some of your food and garden waste. It's easy to do and produces nutrient-rich compost for your flower beds and window boxes.
You can put a whole range of organic materials into a compost bin, including:
- egg shells and boxes
- raw fruit and vegetable scraps
- tea bags, coffee grounds and coffee filters
- small amounts of garden waste, eg prunings, old flowers and plants
- grass cuttings.
Every household in Hillingdon can request a free compost bin for their garden.
Request a compost bin
Our compost bins are 330 litres, 100cm tall with a 80cm base diameter.