National Databank project
As part of the National Databank project, our libraries are working with the Good Things Foundation to provide SIM cards and/or monthly mobile top-ups to people in data poverty.
What is data poverty?
If you are unable to afford an internet connection to meet essential needs, you may be experiencing data poverty.
Data poverty means that you can't do things, such as apply for a job online, bank online, or access essential services, because you have no internet connectivity.
What networks are taking part in this project?
Virgin Media O2 and Vodafone are taking part in the National Databank project.
Virgin Media O2
Virgin Media O2 is offering recipients 20GB of data, plus unlimited calls and unlimited texts each month for a period of 6 months.
- Recipients can either use an existing O2 SIM card or O2 can provide a SIM card.
- An O2 handset or an unlocked handset is required for O2 SIM cards.
- If you get a new SIM card and want to keep your existing phone number, you will need to obtain a PAC code from your current network provider beforehand.
- O2 allowances require set up, so please allow some time for this when you visiting the library.
Vodafone is offering recipients 40GB of data, plus unlimited calls and unlimited texts each month for a period of 6 months.
- Recipients must use a SIM card provided by Vodafone.
- A Vodafone handset or an unlocked handset is required for Vodafone SIM cards.
- If you want to keep your existing phone number, you will need to obtain a PAC code from your current network provider beforehand.
Important: If you are thinking about changing network providers, it is advisable to use a coverage checker beforehand.
Can I receive free data through this project?
To receive free mobile data through the National Databank project, you must:
- be 18 years old or over and
- live in a low-income household.
You must also:
- have no access (or insufficient access) to the internet at home and/or
- have no or insufficient access to the internet when away from home.
Refugees can also be gifted with a SIM card and free data.
How do I get one of these offers?
If you meet the criteria above, visit one of our participating libraries (listed below), taking proof of your age, and speak with a member of staff, who will be able to help.
- Botwell Green Library
- Charville Library*
- Harefield Library
- Northwood Hills Library
- Oak Farm Library
- Uxbridge Library
- Yeading Library
- Yiewsley Library
*The collection of SIM cards from Charville Library are by appointment; please contact the branch directly to arrange.
Delivered in partnership with the Good Things Foundation.