Safer Neighbourhood Board
The Safer Neighbourhood Board (SNB) is an independently-run organisation, made up of community members living in the borough and professionals who either live and or work in the borough.
The primary purpose of the Safer Neighbourhood Board is to give victims of crime a greater voice in setting police priorities and it supports crime prevention projects in the community.
- Monitoring crime performance
- Ensure the voices of local victims are incorporated into policing priorities
- Review the trends and types of complaints from Hillingdon's victims of crime and the generic policing complaints from the community
- Ensuring good practice in stop and search and monitor its effectiveness in reducing crime
- Ensure council wards have a panel of residents to engage with the local police teams to tackle local crime issues
- Partnership working with the Independent Advisory Group (IAG) who inspect police custody suites
- Support Neighbourhood Watch
- Support community payback projects - so that offenders can repair the harm they have caused for their crimes
- Work with community groups to deliver crime prevention services in places such as youth clubs, locally led social clubs, schools, and community centres etc, by accepting MOPAC funding applications and monitoring their progress
SNB terms of reference (PDF)
The role of a board member is to attend meetings quarterly and, along with other members, scrutinise policing data and other crime management information systems.
At least 1 meeting is held in public, so that members of the community can communicate their concerns around crime to the board and the board can develop strategies to feed back into the policing priorities.
- Jean Hillman - Chair
- Vice Chair - to be appointed
- Peter Smallwood - Councillor, Hillingdon Council
- Colleen Sullivan - Councillor, Hillingdon Council
- Dave Ludlow - Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch
- Kevin Mepham - Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch
- Chris Head - Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch
- Mike Crane - BID Manager
- Hoda Lacey - Lay Member
- Chris Tarr - Lay Member
- Chris Beatty - Age UK
Join the Safer Neighbourhood Board
Community projects funded by the Safer Neighbourhood Board
- Street Doctors - an anti-knife crime and emergency first aid, series of workshops designed to educate, inform, and deter Hillingdon's young people from carrying or using knives. It also aims to provide them with knowledge of how they could assist with saving a life, and the power of choice and confidence.
- Youth Offending Services Transporter Bus - an outreach project for young people helping them to build a positive path for their future.
- West Area Kickz - an after school football program that delivers crime awareness to young people in Hillingdon.
- YMCA delivering after-school activities in Hillingdon.
- West Area Boxing - an after-school boxing club that uses boxing for personal development and to deliver crime awareness to young people in Hillingdon.
- The Independent Advisory Group will be delivering a community conference - looking at how to help the community to stop domestic abuse in Hillingdon.
- Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch will be delivering 2 community conferences to help the community protect themselves against crime.
Previous meeting minutes